Friday 13 December 2013

Grafting, get snipping

I'm visiting my mother at the moment and one of the first plants I notice was her Double Delight rose, which had reverted back to the original root stock.

I have written about grafting and the importance of keeping the root stock regrowth below the graft under control before, but thought it was a good opportunity to reinforce it.

Double Delight rose lives up to it's name, as it has the most delightful perfume and creamy red blooms.

As you can see my Double Delight is thriving whereas Mum's is a tiny little red flower with no perfume.  All because she didn't cut all the shoots below the graft off, which resulted in it returning to the original rose used as the strong root stock.



So be vigilant and snip off these shoots and fertilise.  My favourite fertiliser is Sudden Impact for Roses with a little sulphur thrown in for good measure. 

Two simple tips but if adhered to will result in amazing roses.















Happy gardening


Bronwyn



No comments:

Post a Comment