Friday 1 November 2013

Basic gardening tip - Using boxes in you garden

Why choose to use boxes in the garden, well there are many reason.  I have been gardening with boxes  for many years and over those years have modified them for my particular needs.  I started with lower boxes and they gradually got higher as my knees started to complain, thank goodness I have an understanding husband who is very handy.



The benefits of using boxes are two fold.  Firstly if you have a small garden or are renting you can still have a lush, beautiful garden with very little effort, and take it with you when you move and if you are, do I dare say an older gardener like me, you just increase the height to suit your needs and everyone is happy.


















Kits are available from local gardening centres, but my husband prefers to buy sleepers from the hardware department of our garden centre and make our own.  I am always looking at his wood pile, much to his amusement, to find enough wood to build another box.



Boxes create interest and design to your garden and you treat them the same as any other garden bed in regards to compost, fertilizer and mulch.

They are perfect for the first time garden to experiment with all types of veggies and flowers.







Happy gardening

Bronwyn




No comments:

Post a Comment