Saturday 23 November 2013

Basic gardening tips - Lettuce - out with the old and in with the new

Lettuce is a must for any summer garden for the freshest of salads.

I like to stagger my lettuce, planting a month apart to ensure there is always a plentiful supply, but when do you take the old ones out?  Like most plants lettuce when left will become lanky and start setting seed, if you don't want to collect the seed for future use it's time to take them out!






















New lettuce seedlings come in a few sizes, I plant the medium size as they seem to be stronger and established better .  I know you get more for your dollar with the smaller ones, but they can be a bit delicate, that's why I spent a little more and get a stronger plant.






















Fertilise with  liquid Seasol and watch them grow, you'll be picking in no time.


Happy gardening


Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment