Tuesday 19 November 2013

Basic gardening tips - Wormwood and children don't mix!

 Have you heard of the plant Wormwood?  I recently saw it growing in my step-daughter's herb garden right next to the children's play area, so I looked it up as I didn't know very much about it.  Well did I get a surprise, because it looks such an attractive plant in the garden, but looks really can be deceiving.  


 Never  plant wormwood near edible garden plants and herbs,  as it is considered a poor companion plant for many, mainly edible, plants.  Companions, are those which thrive when planted together, improving  health, vigour, flavour, repel pests and attract beneficial insects, like tomatoes and marigolds.  Wormwood is differently a poor companion plant.
The natural chemical substance contained within the leaves are  water soluble and wash into the soil with heavy rains. This chemical inhibits the growth of other garden plants, especially fennel, sage, caraway and anise, young plants and seedlings.

Always exercise caution when planting, handling or coming in contact with the wormwood plant, as all parts of the plant are toxic





.



Never eat Wormwood!  It is  a bitter-tasting plant that is poisonous, resulting in symptoms that range from headaches, convulsions and nerve damage, it is a poor plant choice in homes with small children and pets, especially dogs as they are attracted to it.

If you want to make wormwood a part of your garden  plant this perennial with established ornamental plants, but I prefer not to have it in my garden at all.

As you can imagine I was on the phone straight away to  ensure my grandchildren and wormwood parted company.






Happy gardening

Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment